You are here

J Clin Microbiol DOI:10.1128/JCM.00884-19

Identification of Candida auris by Use of the Updated Vitek 2 Yeast Identification System, Version 8.01: a Multilaboratory Evaluation Study.

Publication TypeJournal Article
Year of Publication2019
AuthorsAmbaraghassi, G, Dufresne, PJ, Dufresne, SF, Vallières, É, Muñoz, JF, Cuomo, CA, Berkow, EL, Lockhart, SR, Luong, M-L
JournalJ Clin Microbiol
Volume57
Issue11
Date Published2019 Nov
ISSN1098-660X
Abstract

is an emerging multidrug-resistant yeast that has been systematically incorrectly identified by phenotypic methods in clinical microbiology laboratories. The Vitek 2 automated identification system (bioMérieux) recently included in its database (version 8.01). We evaluated the performance of the Vitek 2 YST ID card to identify and related species. A panel of 44 isolates of species (,  = 35; ,  = 5; ,  = 4) were tested by three different hospital-based microbiology laboratories. Among 35 isolates of , Vitek 2 yielded correct identification in an average of 52% of tested samples. Low-discrimination (LD) results with an inability to distinguish between , , and were obtained in an average of 27% of samples. Incorrect identification results were obtained in an average of 21% of samples, the majority (91%) of which were reported as and the remaining 9% of which were reported as The proportion of correct identification was not statistically different across different centers ( = 0.78). Stratification by genetic clades demonstrated that 100% ( = 8) of the strains of the South American clade were correctly identified compared to 7% ( = 10) and 0% ( = 4) from the African and East Asian clades, respectively. None of the non- strains ( = 9) were incorrectly identified as Our results show that the Vitek 2 (version 8.01) yeast identification system has a limited ability to correctly identify These data suggest that an identification result for should warrant further testing to rule out The overall performance of the Vitek 2 seems to differ according to genetic clade, with the South American isolates yielding the most accurate results.

DOI10.1128/JCM.00884-19
Pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31413079?dopt=Abstract

Alternate JournalJ. Clin. Microbiol.
PubMed ID31413079
PubMed Central IDPMC6812989