Functional characterization of a hypothetical protein (TTHA1873) from Thermus thermophilus.
Thermus thermophilus is an extremely thermophilic organism that thrives at a temperature of 65°C. T. thermophilus genome has ~2218 genes, out of which 66% (1482 genes) have been annotated, and the remaining 34% (736 genes) are assigned as hypothetical proteins. In this work, biochemical and biophysical experiments were performed to characterize the hypothetical protein TTHA1873 from T. thermophilus. The hypothetical protein TTHA1873 acts as a nuclease, which indiscreetly cuts methylated and non-methylated DNA in divalent metal ions and relaxes the plasmid DNA in the presence of ATP. The chelation of metal ions with EDTA inhibits its activity. These results suggest that the hypothetical protein TTHA1873 would be a CRISPR-associated protein with non-specific DNase activity and ATP-dependent DNA-relaxing activity.
|Year of Publication||