The application for the Summer 2021 Broad Summer Scholars Program is now closed.
Announcement as of January 7, 2021:
Due to Covid-19, we will transition BSSP 2021 to remote programming.
The Broad Summer Scholars Program (BSSP) invites highly motivated high school students with a strong interest in science to spend six weeks at the
ADDITIONAL PROGRAM BENEFITS
- No cost to apply or attend
- Partial reimbursement for transportation costs
- Access to an on-staff tutor to review scientific concepts related to student projects
- Trainings focused on creating scientific posters and best practices for presenting
- Exposure to both computational and experimental techniques
- Social and team-building activities
- Compensation available for students who demonstrate financial need
To be eligible to apply to BSSP, applicants must:
- Be a rising senior in high school (i.e. students can apply their junior year)
- Attend a high school in the greater Boston area
- Have earned a B or better in science and math classes
- Demonstrate excitement for science! No previous research experience is required.
We especially encourage applications from students who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Underrepresented in the sciences—these groups include American Indians or Alaska Natives, Blacks or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinxs, Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders, as well as individuals with disabilities.
- Underserved, as indicated by qualifying for free or reduced lunch.
- Could be the first person in their family to attend college.
- Demonstrate a commitment to issues of diversity through extracurricular and/or community activities. By diversity we mean efforts to reduce social, educational, or economic disparities in the United States.
Application deadline: January 22, 2021
Acceptance notifications: Late March
Program dates: June 28-August 6, 2021
2020 Student research highlights:
and Latin School
and Latin School
Brockton High School
Charter High School
East Boston, MA
Technical Vocational School
Pioneer Charter School of Science
Andover High School
Billerica Memorial High School
Westborough High School
Brookline High School