What is the Bio-Coding Club?
The Office for STEM Engagement and Inclusion at the Broad Institute created the Bio-Coding Club as an after-school program to teach students in grades 6-8 about both biology and computer coding. The Bio-Coding Club curriculum combines engaging hands-on activities with coding challenges using the Scratch programming language. Educators are provided with all the tools needed to run successful student-driven coding projects related to biology, and to boost student interest in STEM by making science fun. Modules cover topics related to DNA, Neuroscience, Infectious Disease, Human Microbiome, and Evolution.
To access the free Bio-Coding Club curriculum, visit broad.io/biocodingcurriculum.
How can I get sponsored to start my own Club chapter?
(The sponsorship application for the 2022-2023 academic year has now closed. Please check back in Spring 2023 for the next application cycle to begin.)
Educators or community-based organizations serving students in grades 6-8 can launch their own Bio-Coding Club with our support!
- Fill out a short application to tell us about your school and your interest in starting a Club. Applicants will be selected to participate via a lottery system based on region.
- Attend a remote workshop in July to become familiar with the curriculum and the Scratch programming language, and to hear from Broad Institute scientists about cutting-edge research in biomedicine.
- Choose which semester you’d like to launch your Club and recruit students.
- Receive a kit with materials to facilitate hands-on science activities with the students in your Club.
- Work with Broad Institute staff to survey students in your Club about their experience to help us make improvements.
- $1000 stipend awarded to lead educator for one semester, with option to extend program for a second semester
- No cost to apply or participate
- Learn the Scratch programming language
- Stay connected with Broad Institute staff and other educators to get support and share experiences throughout the process
Questions? Email email@example.com